www.ssontech.com Forum Index www.ssontech.com
SynthEyes Camera Tracker Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First successful track!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ssontech.com Forum Index -> Watch This! (NOT TECH SUPPORT)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
odnetnin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: First successful track! Reply with quote

Still a bit of sliding I think, but I'm rather happy that I finally got something. I just uploaded it to Vimeo so it might not be ready to view for a little while. Thanks for all the tutorials!

http://vimeo.com/user10025654/videos
GraphicsKid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea quite a bit of sliding, but hey, practice makes perfect!
odnetnin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you suggest I cut down the sliding? I did a supervised track directly onto the table and then had the auto track apply more trackers to the scene. Wasn't sure what else to do after I hit the clean trackers option. I keep thinking it's the shot but I've seen some way shaky stuff get tracked really well in examples so it should be very do-able. Any suggestions are more then welcome!
GraphicsKid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what you need to do is make sure those auto trackers aren't screwing up your solve. What you can do is try "working in the dark". This will help you locate bad trackers.

http://ssontech.com/content/lookdark.htm

Clean up trackers really only gets the REALLY bad ones, to be absolutely sure, use your own eyes, and using the "pan to follow" feature helps A LOT with locating trackers that are sliding. Select a tracker and press 5 to activate "pan to follow".

Also, how many trackers do you have active at one time? You may just want to add more trackers in... supervised trackers that is. I try to stray away from the automatic solution as much as possible... but then again I've mostly done just crazy handheld stuff that doesn't work so well with the auto tracker.

EDIT: Oh also, two things: What kind of camera did you film this with? And you might want to consider putting some tracking markers in the shot for when you film next time. A solid white wall isn't going to help you out much. Never really hurts to have some extra bits of painter's tape stuck to the wall to help track... of course don't go overboard or you'll end up spending all of your time removing the darned things!
odnetnin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a canon vixia hf s20. I've got 12 supervised trackers in the shot and they're tracked to some markers which are underneath the car. You can see some of them in the render. Little bits of ripped up paper. What do you use for tracking markers?
GraphicsKid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah HA! Well that explains some of the sliding then. That camera, like most cameras coming out now uses a CMOS sensor, which has what's called a "rolling shutter".

http://www.dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/

Read this "russ's rants" post on Rolling shutter: http://ssontech.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=478 (oh how I miss russ's rants!)
The Happy Friar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think with his track the cmos would make much of a difference. It didn't when I did a test track with a similar idea (I made a "set" of legos).

What I did to get a better track was I took some pictures with my video camera of different angles around the set, manually tracked those then linked them to trackers in my wanted footage. It eliminated a lot of sliding but the issue then was my pictures were 4.6megapixel and my camera was HDV so I had a lot less detail to track in my footage.

Nice model. I see an older Dell there too, looks like the ones schools around here use. One of the older P4's. Smile
odnetnin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I couldn't even tell you how long that dells been sitting there. We consider it an antique now. Probably going to end up putting it next to the old 3.1 system in a box lol

Thank you for the complement on the model. It's something I whipped up real quick the other day. I've got a background in 3d modeling/animation. Syntheyes just seemed logical for me I guess haha

I did some research on CMOS after reading Russ's Rant on it. Some people suggest using stabilizing from external software to help. I've got sony vegas movie studio HD 10. I think I'll pull it in and stabilize it then retrack it to see if that helps.
The Happy Friar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stabilize in Syntheyes might do better then the Vegas one (I have 10 Pro). It takes more work to setup though (you need to do tracking so it knows what to stabilize).

I've been reading that the CMOS cameras are getting better. I never noticed anything on mine that's an issue but I don't normally do fast motion when I'm currently teaching myself tracking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ssontech.com Forum Index -> Watch This! (NOT TECH SUPPORT) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: