Updating SynthEyes A Tutorial
Know there's a great new SynthEyes update, but not how to get it? There are two easy ways: automatic or manual. We'll start with the automatic way, since that's easiest and the work may have already been done for you! If you have installed SynthEyes on a machine with no internet connection, or if you are using Vista, you will need to follow the manual process below.
You should have already received your permanent SynthEyes authorization. If you have not (generally because you have not sent registration data), you will need to complete that first, see the registration and authorization tutorial.
If you have trouble, see the Updating FAQs below.
SynthEyes has an automatic update feature that will fetch updaters automatically, if you have configured it correctly. Note that in the manual, auto-update is described in the "Customer Care Features and Automatic Update" section of the reference guide.
Machines running Vista must use the manual update, Vista will not permit the update to start nor allow you to access it manually.
Checking for an Auto-Update
- You need to have a live, always-on, internet connection for automatic updating, or you should open the connection before starting SynthEyes.
- Start SynthEyes
- Wait 20 or 30 seconds. You may see the D/L button at top right of SynthEyes turn yellow, that's great, the update is downloading. Wait for it to turn green. (Normally this happens as you are working in SynthEyes.)
- If the D/L button turns red, it means that the updater is misconfigured or the web site is not accessible (ie no internet connection, or a firewall blocking the way).
- If the D/L button stays gray, it probably means that either the updater is misconfigured or is not configured to check. You can click it directly, and it will immediately check for an update and begin downloading it if one is found.
- If the D/L button is green, click it to launch the installation of the new version.
- NOTE: See below for special Windows-64 instructions.
- You do not have to re-register the new version.
Configuring the Auto-Updater
These are the steps required to reconfigure the auto-update so that it has the information it needs to work correctly. Note that normally this process is accomplished successfully during your initial registration. The process will also ensure that the Msg (check for messages) and Sug (make a suggestion) buttons work properly.
- Start SynthEyes. Windows Vista/Win7 users, do that by going to the folder \Program Files\Andersson Technologies LLC\SynthEyes. Right-click the file SynthEyes(.exe) or SynthEyes64(.exe) within it, and select "Run as Administrator." Click Allow on the UAC box.
- Click the menu item Help/Set Update Info.
- Locate your original, complete, serial number. It is not on the splash screen. You will find it with your permanent license data, in the email entitled "SynthEyes Registration (SAVE THIS MAIL)". It will look something like SN-3-9999-9999Z. Make sure you have the latest email, if you have previously upgraded. Sometimes people break the auto-update by entering a SynthEyes 2006 serial number, for example, though they upgraded from 2006 to 2011.
- Enter the complete serial number into the SynthEyes registration dialog by copying and pasting. Be sure to include everything from the initial SN, SM, IM, or S6 through and including the final letter.
- Identify, in the permanent license mail, your customer care login informationit is the same information you use to log in to the customer-only support site.
- Enter the user id and password into the respective fields of the customer care login information dialog. Use copy and paste to avoid typing errors.
- Set the "Check for updates" selector to either "on startup" or "daily".
- Click OK to close the dialog.
- Click the D/L button at top right.
- This will either successfully check for updates, as described in the previous section, or produce an error message.
- Assuming you have done the setup accurately, by far the most commonly-encountered problem at this stage is that there is a firewall preventing SynthEyes from accessing the ssontech.com website on the standard HTTP port 80. In a larger company, this may be a company firewall box, you will have to check with your systems administrator.
- Or, it may be firewall/security software on your own machine, in which case you may be able to configure it to allow SynthEyes to make its checks without interference. See your security software manual for instructions.
You can directly download and install the new version from the customer-only web site as follows. If SynthEyes is installed on a machine with no internet connection, do the process below, then sneaker-net the installer to the final machine.
- Locate your permanent authorization mail, with a subject line of "SynthEyes Registration (SAVE THIS MAIL)".
- In the mail, locate and click the link following "You can download later builds of SynthEyes with this link:" If you click the support-area link instead, just click the link to the latest.htm page.
- Enter the Customer care login information from the email, it is a user id and password.
- In the email, locate your full serial number, above your permanent license information. It will look something like SN-3-9999-9999Z
- Copy and paste the serial number (without the colon and without any of the <mumbojumbo> license information) into the serial number field of the latest.htm page.
- Click the Download button and save the new installer.
- On Vista (only), you must uninstall SynthEyes before installing the new version. This is not necessary on other operating systems.
- Install the new version.
- You do not have to re-register.
The 64-bit version of Windows does not want to automatically start the updater, so after the download completes, and you try to initiate the update installation, SynthEyes will close without the installer launching. You must launch it by going to the following folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\your_username_here\Application Data\SynthEyes or
The Application Data folder is typically hidden on Windows even though it is the designated place for such information. You will see syn1164setup.exe in that folder, double-click it to launch the update installation.
Q: I already have a build of 2011, and keep getting the same build (manual or automatic)
A: Use the manual update process. Uninstall any and all versions of SynthEyes already on your machine. Do a search to locate and delete any and all SynthEyes installers from your machine. Download the new build using your latest serial number, and store it in a particular new folder. Then install that installer, being sure to select it from that particular new folder. (There's been a history of people downloading one installer, and installing the old one...).
Q: I am trying to log in, but my login information does not work.
A: Assuming you are copy/pasting, usually this means that your 1 year of SynthEyes technical support, and access to upgrades, has expired. See also the next question.
Q: I keep getting my same old 2008 or earlier version of SynthEyes
A: You need to be a 2011 customer to update to 2011. You can upgrade through the order form on the web site.
Q: I already upgraded to 2011, but when I try to download 2011, I keep
getting 2008 or earlier
A: You are using the wrong mail --- you are using your serial number from a prior version
Q: I can't find the email labeled "SynthEyes Registration (SAVE THIS
A: This means either you did not register, or that you did not save it. Either register if you haven't already, or flay yourself with wet spaghetti noodles and then contact support for help. Please be sure to clearly identify who you are and use your company email address, not your yahoo dungeon handle. Thanks.